31 August 2005

construction site

i needed only a spark
from you
a small word
that said
that showed
that this was hurting
you too

when i didn’t see it
didn’t hear it
didn’t receive that
small affirmation
of me and you
of us
i knew

it didn’t stop the shock
it broke me
tore at the makeshift
scaffolding i had let
you build around my heart

and the sound of
me disintegrating
covered the silence
of you standing there
unmoved

what was built
around your heart?
had you already begun
quietly dismantling
yourself from me?
was it when
you were away?
was it when
you came back?

what are we now?
a construction site
laid bare
with remnants
to sting the heart
an old newspaper
with the crossword filled out
and a couple of tea bags
lying side by side

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home